Friday, April 2, 2010

The beginning of the end...

ART 474
Art and Art History Dept
2535 McCarthy Mall, Room 101
TH 12:00-1:15
University of Hawaii, Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822


ART 474,

I gleefully but regretfully inform you that I am playfully and theoretically resigning from my position as director/queen bee of ART WORK. I've had a lot of fun putting this show together and we've been amazingly successful at getting the word out. If you haven't seen it, I'm including a link to the Star Bulletin article in Today's paper on our show. It's aswesome!!!

I feel very proud that I've helped create a possible collective world. But now I leave it up to you all to create the communication and organizational tools to make it a true collaboration. Our ART WORK world has the potential, depending on how you all decide to pitch in, of either succeeding admirably or failing miserably. I leave it up to you.

The show is up and running but needs time coordinators, maintenance, workplace safety managers, and much much more. So here is the deal. I've made a time sheet for all of you that I will be passing out on Tuesday. Basically, you need to identify ways to contribute, talk to each other somehow about how to coordinate your contributions (I've opened the discussion board for this purpose), put in 5 productive hours on the show, and justify those hours. I've filled out my own time sheet on my contribution thus far. 58 hours and 11 minutes (please see attached PDF). Bronson, Andrea, Brianna, Robert, Stephanie, and Theresa, Yonghao and probably a few others have also contributed their time and admirable efforts in getting the space of the gallery open. They've been responsable leaders, but I think I can safely speak for them all in saying that they would also like to step aside so that new leaders can emerge. I'd love to see a few other people step up to the plate and perhaps help manage the space. Please identity yourselves to us all.


Just to start you off with a concrete problem that needs to be solved immediately. The gallery is open Monday - Thursday from 10- 4. We need volunteers to sit this week, we need a coordinator for the volunteers, we need..... to be as productive and creative as possible in participating.

I include an email from the gallery management regarding coverage........

Hi Jaimey,

I went over the gallery attendants schedule. I would like to have 2 attendants in the main gallery and the third in the Commons. The following are times when there are 2 attendants or fewer, and could use help from your students.

Tues 3/30 10:30-12:00; 1:00-1:30
Wed 03/31 12:00-12:30
Thur 04/01 10:30-12:30

If your students want to sit in the Commons for additional times, that would be fine with me. I can have 3 attendants in the Korean show. If you can give me a schedule of when your students will be coming, I'll let the attendants know who to expect and when.

Thank you,........

SOOOOO

Will someone please create and post a signup sheet for gallery hours in the gallery? And whatever else you all think needs to be done to make art work work.... etc.

I hereby reliquish manegerial control of the Commons space to the common collective of ART 474. I will, of course, be available for volunteer consultation, time permiting, but I have every faith that you all will do your best to make art work work.

See you on Tueday, when I will lecture on Conceptual art.

Sincerely,

Professor Jaimey Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment